High Horses Therapeutic Riding Program has been serving residents of the Upper Valley region of New Hampshire and Vermont since 1993. We were the first program in Vermont whose standards met the demanding criteria to attain “Premier Accreditation” by Professional Association of Therapeutic Horsemanship International (PATH Intl.).
From PATH Internationals inception in 1969, members have focused on the establishment of guidelines to ensure that participants receive the best possible instruction and that centers adhere to the highest quality standards.
Premier Accreditation Criteria:
- Safety of all participants, maintenance of facility and grounds
- Instructors are well trained & know emergency procedures
- Equine welfare and management, which includes equipment & care
- Program goal/outcome is for the participant to gain ability in all areas of life
- Organization uses best business practices and is well run and organized
Our trained and professional staff, volunteers, and horses work as a team to provide individualized lessons addressing the physical, emotional, social and cognitive challenges of seniors, veterans, teens, adults and children with varying abilities. Each rider’s unique strengths and needs are carefully considered. This distinctive experience of achievement, joy, and community inspires and empowers everyone involved.
To improve the well being of people with special needs through a therapeutic equine experience.
We aspire to offer state-of-the-art equine assisted therapies, providing a full range of services to our community. As a nationally accredited program, we help shape the future of our industry.
High Horses adheres to the values of teamwork, integrity, respect, empathy, and joyfulness in all that we do.
High Horses On Video
Dartmouth students Anna Davies, Janice Tam, Kemi Mugo, and Tsomo Cuomaoji produced this video illustrating the relationship our organization has with nature. They beautifully captured the connections our staff and riders have to horses.
High Horses On The Radio
Hear about the programs High Horses provides on the radio program, The Point.
High Horses In Print
High Horses was featured in Upper Valley Life magazine. Read about our program as a resource for children with autism in the article High Horses: A Smile, A Horse, and Autism.
High Horses Collaborates with these fine charities & businesses:
Collaborations to enhance impact – It’s more than just a ride.
• WISE provides advocacy, crisis services, and community education to those affected by domestic and sexual violence Getting WISE with High Horses
• VAMC: Veteran Affairs Medical Center serving veterans: Equine Services for Heroes
• The Junction: LISTEN’s Teen Life skills Center – Leadership Skills with Horses
• Tuck School Of Business @ Dartmouth
• VT Equine Services for Heroes: High Horses, CHAMP, Rhythm of the Rein, Southern VT Therapeutic Center serving veterans throughout Vermont and neighboring states
• TRAIN: Therapeutic Riding Assessment of Impact Network – High Horses, High Hopes, UpReach, Southern VT Therapeutic Riding Center – working towards measuring outcomes in therapeutic riding
• Special Needs Collaboration: High Horses, Spark!, Global Campuses, Special Needs Support Center, Zack’s Place: building a unified consortium that better understands and addresses the needs of our constituents
High Horses History
Our Board Members:
President – Jill Helmer
Vice President – Pat Tivnan
Treasurer – Alicia Hershberger
Secretary – Gabbie Black